Cochrane reviews are published originally in English in The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, which is the main database of the electronic journal The Cochrane Library. Some of the material in it is translated and edited for the Biblioteca Cochrane Plus (BCP). The information is available in a number of electronic databases that are accessible via a single search engine.
Since 2003, thanks to a subscription by the Spanish Ministry of Health, the Iberoamerican Cochrane Centre (CCIb) translates and publishes the Biblioteca Cochrane Plus (www.bibliotecacochrane.com), providing open access to Cochrane systematic reviews translated into Spanish. Update Software and Infoglobal Suport are responsible for the BCP's production. In Latin America, the database can be accessed via the Virtual Health Library thanks to an agreement between the CClb and BIREME, the documentation centre of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO).
This initiative is an invaluable contribution to eliminate language barriers while ensuring access to reliable health information for those who are not fluent in English. Moreover, the BCP brings significant added value from the language and cultural perspectives.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN LA BIBLIOTECA COCHRANE PLUS?
• Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews.
• Reports from health technology assessment (HTA) Spanish agencies.
• Healthcare administration: Articles from the journal edited by Health Services Research Institute Foundation (IISS by its initials in Spanish).
• Fundación Kovacs' website on back pain: Abstracts from high-quality scientific trials on back pain.
• Iberoamerican Clinical Trials Registry: References of trials published in Iberoamerican journals.
• Evidence. Update on ambulatory care practice: Articles from the journal edited by the Fundación Para el Desarrollo de la Medicina Familiar y la Atención Primaria de la Salud de Argentina.
• Evidence in Paediatrics: Articles from the journal of the Asociación Española de Pediatría.
Also available, in English:
• CENTRAL: A compilation of 500,000 references to clinical trials.
• Other published reviews: References to high-quality systematic reviews.
• HTA Database: References to reports of HTA from international agencies.
• NHS Economic Evaluation Database - NHS EED: References to economic evaluation reports.
• Cochrane Methodology Register (CMR): References to methodological studies.
The Cochrane Library had an Impact Factor of 6.032 in 2014 and was ranked 13th in the Medicine, General & Internal category. It is estimated that every day someone, somewhere, searches the Cochrane Library every second.
The use of the Biblioteca Cochrane Plus has increased steadily since its inception. It averaged over 4 000 000 searches each year throughout the period from 2012 to 2014.